Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Over-Falsity of Confidence

 Some people think that to find a great sounding guitar, that you have to spend money. The kind of money that people put down to buy a car.  

Jimmy Page and his Gibson 12 string/6 string double neck.


There is a listing for that Gibson on Ebay right now for $9,999.99. 

Jimi Hendrix 1968 Fender Stratocaster was reportedly sold in 1998 to Paul Allen of Microsoft for 2 million dollars. 

David Gilmour's custom Fender Stratocaster is listed on Musiciansfriend.com for $4280.00

_______________________________________________

Never wanted to play guitar. Ever. Everyone plays guitar. What's the point.- Jack White

  On the other end of the spectrum you have someone like
Jack White who builds a god damn guitar out of string and a soda bottle.

Who said you needed to buy a guitar? - Jack White



“For example, the idea behind using the Ward’s Airline in the White Stripes was to prove that you don’t need a brand new guitar to have character, to have tone, and to be able to play what you want to play.” - Jack White




 



  I love the fact that the main guitar that Jack White used in The White Stripes is an old $125 Montgomery Wards Airline electric. 



   Jack White isn't the only one with a fondness for cheap guitars. Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys also prefers going lo-tech with some cheap pawn shop style guitars in his arsenal.

  




  Thats Dan Auerbach rockin a harmony which nowadays you can get for around $600-$800. The sound of The Black Keys is so rich and full. The first time I heard them I found it hard to believe it was just two people.

 The Black Keys performing "I Got Mine" at Abbey Road Studios

 ___________________________________________________________________________


OK we've covered alot so far. Lemme explain... 

 

   There are differences between cheap and expensive electrics. These differences lie mainly in the woods used and the electronics/hard ware. More expensive guitars have more expensive woods, paint, finishes etc...More expensive guitars will also have different quality pickups, and bridges.
   

   But when all is said and done, I'm of the opinion that a guitar should be judged by its sound, and its feel. I would never be judgmental of a friend just because they didn't drive an expensive car or have an extremely high paying job, and I would never judge a guitar just because of it's price.


 The toilet seat guitar at my local music store. The perfect gift for the sh*tty guitarist.

   Some people will say that people like Jack White just make it cool for the broke asses of the world to get street cred as a struggling artist that plays on crap equipment. I'm sure they would  probably also say that you can't make awesome music without an awesome guitar, and the only way to get an awesome guitar is to spend the money for one, and I think they're just as right as every other opinion out there.


   If you feel that the only way you can express yourself musically is to cough up 10 grand, then that is what works for you, and thats cool, but its not the only way to go about doing it. There are plenty of people out there today playing all sorts of different equipment.



   The only guitar I have left now is an electric. It's an Alvarez strat copy. I paid $90 bucks for it, and its one of the best guitars I've ever owned. The minute I picked it up, I knew this was my guitar. It aint much to brag about, it looks like its been through some wars, but this guitar has personality. I've never seen an Alvarez electric before, and I haven't seen one since. It's unique, just like myself. 

   
 And frankly, I find it much more satisfying and rewarding to unexpectedly find a good guitar somewhere like a thrift store, pawn shop, garage sale, or online. The way I see it, when that happens, the guitar basically finds you. There's no magic in it when you just walk into the guitar center or some other store, with a shitload of cash and just pay buy a guitar much like you would buy your lunch, or a pair of shoes. At least thats my take on it, and I'm not hating on anybody or invalidating their point of view. There are no absolutes in this. Everyone is right, and wrong, its all relative...

Right Rock and Roll Einstein?!

Ja!
   I don't know how to end this, so I'm just going to go now.


Time for go to Bed

No comments:

Post a Comment