Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The David Gilmour Power Hour

Guitardedblog.com



 David Gilmour is my favorite guitar player. Look the video clip above. He is the owner of the original Fender Stratocaster Serial# 00001! Now, just because I'm saying that doesn't mean I'm implying that there are no other talented guitarists out there. There are a ton of talented guitar players of different styles and abilities. David Gilmour's style, technique, and sound just appeals to me the most.
 I grew up playing guitar during the age of 80's metal when it seemed you couldn't even call yourself a guitar player unless you could play 100+/mph. The most important lesson I learned from David Gilmours work with Pink Floyd and his solo stuff is that you don't have to be some flashy speed demon to be a bad ass guitar player. He may not be the flashiest, or fastest player around but to me he's definitely the most tasteful, player around.

My Best of David Gilmour List


1. Comfortably Numb - Second Solo, from Pulse: This piece speaks for itself, its ridiculous how awesome this solo is. I saw them play on this tour, hearing it live was a life changing moment for me.




2. Dogs - From Animals : Alot of people don't like Animals, but its probably my favorite Floyd Album. Even David Gilmour isn't too fond of it apparently. Although when they did go on the Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour they rehearsed and nearly included "Sheep" on their set but Gilmour decided against it at the last moment because he felt he couldn't do Roger Waters vocals justice. Personally, I love this album, and Dogs, is definitely a guitar players song.


3. Echoes - From Pink Floyd in Pompeii: What Gilmour does from the 5:35 portion of the song until the breakdown thing is so heavy. The whole band sounds so tight, and they are all just jamming so hard. David Gilmour is on top of his game here.


4. Time - from Dark Side of the Moon Every note in that solo is just perfectly chosen. I listen to this solo the way I would go to The Louvre and admire The Mona Lisa.


5. One of These Days, - from Meddle, performed here on Pulse
Especially the really heavy jam that kicks in at the 4 minute mark was really special to hear Live. Which I did in Tempe, in April of 1994. That was a good day.


6. Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Live Acoustic Performance
I gotta include this specific performance because I think its important to show here that he may have a multi million dollar guitar setup and cool and expensive effects, and the original Fender Stratocaster, but the dude can also go low tech and just play his ass off with just him and a God Damn Acoustic Guitar.


 Ok so we have now seen, David Gilmour pretty much rules. He's shown me that as long as you have style and taste, you don't have to be the fastest player on the block to be a real badass.


 I'll finish this post with a link to a cool you tube clip thats a good tutorial on getting the David Gilmour sound on your own gear.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment