Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gibsons Robot Guitar

Gibson's Robot Guitar





   The first time I ever played a guitar was sometime around 1982. I was 9 years old. I'm almost 40 now and I still have a hard time believing sometimes that a guitar can actually tune itself.

   The price range is from $1000-$3000. It comes with seven factory preset tunings.
  • Standard: E,A,D,G,B,E,
  • E flat: Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Bb,Eb
  • Drop D: D, A,D,G,B,E
  • Double Drop D: D,A,D,G,B,D
  • D Modal: D,A,D,G,A,D
  • Open G: D,G,D,G,B,D,
  • Open E:  E,B,E,G#,B,E 
   I've never played one, and I'm not a very technically saavy person, so that's about as technically in-depth as I'm going to get into with the robot guitar. 

   Some people say that this leap in technology is taking something away from today's musicians, or that this is only for lazy guitar players.
  
   I have to disagree. Just because it tunes it for you doesn't mean that it's playing itself, or thinking of what to do any of the time. That's still up to the player. I'm going to use an old reference here but just because someone may be a writer, doesn't mean they have to know how to fix a typewriter when it breaks down. I've been playing for over 25 years now and I'm a fairly descent player, but even I have trouble changing strings, and I have to rely on either my snark tuner, or the app on my I-Phone to stay in tune. I rely on electronics to stay in tune anyways.

   I can understand that some people are purists and like the old ways better, but sometimes just because something is older doesn't mean its better.



   I love writing and the process of writing, but I'm not about to trade in Microsoft Word and my laptop for an old dusty typewriter any time soon. The less time I spend messing with typewriters and correcting tape, and ribbons and crap, the more time I can spend actually writing, and creating, thats whats important.

   This is a timesaver. Especially if you play live and make a living playing guitar. From what I understand, the guitar tunes pretty accurately and it only takes a few seconds. If you play live, and have to rely on multiple guitars for songs in different tunings then this guitar is a lifesaver.

   It is expensive and there are no replacement parts for it and I understand in case your guitar needs repairs or replacement parts that there are only four authorized Gibson Robot Guitar dealers in the U.S. to send your guitar to.

   A self-tuning guitar is impressive and this guitar is an important first step. Now that we know that it can be done, the next few years will be spent refining the technology, and making it more affordable.

No comments:

Post a Comment