Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Too Old to Be in a Band



2 acoustic guitarists in QC looking for a bassist, singer and drummer to jam with. We do 90's alternative covers and play once or twice a week. We eventually want to gig but are in no hurry to do so right now. Looking for people we can get along with and hang out, have fun and jam in our spare time while we fine tune our sound. Must be able to travel to Queen Creek. Female singers encouraged. 

 This is what I posted on Craigslist recently. 

 I'm looking for some people for me and my other guitar playing buddy to jam with and maybe actually get a band together and gig. Since I don't know anyone else in town, I figured it was worth a shot. Like the ad says we would like to get a band going but we're not in a big hurry, so we really just want to find some like-minded people out there too who are also into the music we play and who just want to play a couple times a week, just for fun. Then we'll see what happens. Sounds reasonable right?

  What I didn't know was that almost every response I would get back was asking for demos and mp3's and Youtube links and where we had gigs lined up.

 WTF? Either nobody bothered to read the ad or my idea of how bands come together is simply and outdated model.

  We were just looking for people to jam with.  You would think we were looking for people to sign to a contract and start immediate paying gigs or something. 

  If this is the way things are nowadays then I'm definitely too old to be in a band. 

 In my day, you met people first, then started a band then made records and videos. 

 Apparently these days you start a band, then make records, then make videos, then finally meet the actual band members. 

EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THE HELL IS THAT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!



 

 When I say I'm a guitarist, I mean that literally and entirely. I'm only a guitar player. I'm not a guitarist/computer wizard/recording engineer. I know how to play guitar and thats it. I know nothing about Pro Tools or recording software. I only know how to play guitar. 


Apparently, guitarists who only play guitar are just not in demand anymore. 

 How Jimi Hendrix would look like today...maybe

 I'm too old to be in a band. I need a psychiatrist, a therapist and medication to just not be able to fuck up a cup of coffee. I would a need an entire team of Swiss psychiatrists working round the clock to be able to begin to learn Pro Tools.

 Rock Bands are for the young. An unemployed, teenage dropout has all day to learn pro tools.

 I'm too old to be in a band. I'm married and have kids and work 40 hours a week and I can't practice more than twice a week. 

 Rock Bands are for the young. In your teens and twenties you can rehearse all night every night. 



This is the kind of band that people my age start.

Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/guitardedblogg

On Twitter @guitardedblog
 
email me at bloggeradmin@guitardedblog.com


 

No comments:

Post a Comment